Pretty sure many of us would be looking for solutions to this heavy wind and dust coming from the Northern part of the Sahara desert. Harmattan period is usually associated with low humidity which simply means there is very little amount of water in the atmosphere compared to other seasons of the year. As a result the weather appears harsh to our Hair and Skin.
The good news is we can follow this few steps to keep our skin fresh and moisturized.
* Like your face use mild moisturizing soap or body bath creams.
* Invest in body oil to retain moisture on the skin after bath. Do not completely dry your skin after shower; about 10% of moisture is retained if you apply on damp skin. You can pour few drops of oil into water before bath if you prefer.
* Apply your moisturizing cream or lotion all over your body including your under feet. Hydrating creams and lotion are best for all skin types this season.
* Apply hand cream during the day and night before going to bed. Invest in a hand cream if you don’t have one.
* Applying nail polish can help protect nails from excessive drying and hardening.
* Use mild soaps (even if you have oily or combination skin) to wash your face as harsh soaps and cleansing bars will remove all the oil on your face.
* Stop the use of face facial cleansers and toners that contain alcohol or astringents. Use only mild facial cleansers and toners. Facial cleansers and toners with a neutral PH of 5.5 are best.
* Always moisturize your face after cleansing (even if you have oily or combination skin).
* Remember to invest in a lip balm, lip salve or lip gloss. Always moisturize your lips before going to bed.
* LADIES: Always apply lip balm or lip salve before lipstick and if you prefer lip gloss apply after lipstick.
* GUYS: Well kept lips makes you appear groomed. So invest in a lip balm or lip salve for a non glossy moisturized lip.
* Wash hair with shampoo and conditioner as usual.
* Don’t dry hair completely to retain some moisture in hair.
* Apply hair oil, pink oils, lotions and creams to hair daily or every other day depending on hair type and severity of the weather
* Avoid using hair sprits, gels and strong hair hold. Mild styling mousse can be used for styling in their stead. * Use hair sprays to add shine to your hair.
* Scarves and hats are amazing accessories that can be use to protect hair and still be fashionable.
Use this tips during this dry season and your skin will appear fresher and moisturized all day, every day.
Harmattan is usually the coldest season of the year. Harmattan is an extremely dry dusty wind that blows towards the western coast of Africa from the Sahara desert, during the months November to March.
Credit: ThisDay Newspaper